Make a complaint

If you are unhappy with the treatment or service you have received from the practice you are entitled to make a complaint, have it considered, and receive a response from the practice manager or the practitioner involved.

Local Resolution

The Practice complaints procedure covers complaints made by a person about any matter connected with the provision of healthcare received from Zetland Medical Practice.

Who can complain

A complaint can be made by a patient or person affected or likely to be affected by the actions or decisions of a NHS organisation or primary care practitioner.  A complaint can also be made by someone acting on behalf of the patient or person, with their consent.

What is the time limit for making a complaint?

You should normally complain within 12 months of the event(s) concerned or within 12 months of becoming aware that you have something to complain about.  Primary care practitioners and the practice manager have discretion to waive this time limit if there are not good reasons why you could not complain earlier.

To whom should I complain initially?

You should firstly try for local resolution.  You can raise your concerns immediately by speaking to the practice manager who may be able to resolve these without the need to make a more formal complaint.
However, if you want to continue with your complaint you can do this by writing to the practice manager in which case you will receive a response within 10 working days.

A complaints form may be collected from the Practice, please ask the receptionist for a copy.

You will be kept informed of progress if this is not going to happen within that timescale.  At the point of complaint where there may be a protracted investigation process envisaged  the Practice will negotiate a plan with the complainant to agree a timescale for an anticipated full response leading to resolution.

Following Investigation

The Practice will inform the complainant in writing how their complaint was explored, the evidence and the conclusion reached.  If the Practice is taking remedial action as a result of its findings, we will advise how it will be implemented.

The Health Service Ombudsman

If you remain unhappy after local resolution and independent review then you can complain to the Health Service Ombudsman.  The Ombudsman is completely independent of both the NHS and Government.  You can contact the Ombudsman at:

Millbank Tower

Tel 0845 015 4033

Where can I get further advice and help:
– ICAS provides advice and support,
– call NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or your Local Citizens Advice Bureau.